Skip to main content

Classroom Environment

Classroom Environment

Classroom environment plays a critical role in literacy learning. During a read aloud experience the students need adequate space relatively close to the teacher in order to see and hear the story. They need to be seated in a way that is mostly free from distractions. The decorations in the classroom should facilitate the learning not distract or take away from the learning. In my classroom set up I have a large carpet area where all the students have enough space to sit. I assign carpet spaces first spaced on alphabetical order and then after I get to know I the students I seat them in spaces that best meets their needs. 
The classroom environment for a shared reading experience is similar to that of a read aloud. The main difference is that I choose to use a big book so the students can interact and engage in the reading experience. A big book allows the students to see the text in large print and come up and interact with the book using a pointer or other materials. I pre-teach how to get up from the carpet and come to the front so no one gets stepped on. 

Classroom environment can be an after thought but it plays a critical role in literacy learning. The teacher should be mindful and intentional when preparing the classroom for learning. 

Image result for kindergarten carpet area

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classroom Environment

Classroom environment plays an essential role in literacy learning. The classroom set up and design should facilitate literacy learning in the classroom. At the beginning of each school year I am intentional in my design and set up of my classroom. As the school year develops and I get to know my students the classroom is flexible and changes to meet the needs of my students. Areas that best support literacy learning: guided reading table library: books of all levels to meet student needs writing table: different materials and supplies to meet the needs of students  phonics table word wall technology table flexible seating arrangement  carpet area for whole group learning 

Why Education

I became an educator to make a positive impact on the community. I strongly believe positive change happens through education. I am passionate about early childhood education and believe the joy of learning begins at a young age. It is critical that we as educators instill a love for literacy during the students first school experience. I also have a passion for play based learning and believe our youngest students learn best through play and conversation with their peers.  Play infused with literacy learning sets students up for success and creates a joy for learning.

My favorite read aloud book