Skip to main content

Classroom Environment

Classroom environment plays an essential role in literacy learning. The classroom set up and design should facilitate literacy learning in the classroom. At the beginning of each school year I am intentional in my design and set up of my classroom. As the school year develops and I get to know my students the classroom is flexible and changes to meet the needs of my students.
Areas that best support literacy learning:

  1. guided reading table
  2. library: books of all levels to meet student needs
  3. writing table: different materials and supplies to meet the needs of students 
  4. phonics table
  5. word wall
  6. technology table
  7. flexible seating arrangement 
  8. carpet area for whole group learning 



Comments

  1. When you first enter a great kindergarten classroom, you should feel warmth and friendliness. I feel the environment should be colorful, organized and be enriched by an abundance of books, words, letters, numbers, and other instructional aids. Items should be placed in appropriate places so they are not a distraction to the children while teaching. A selection of all the students work should be neatly displayed throughout the room. Students love seeing their work posted. It also makes the classroom feel more like their own. Music and reading should fill up a lot of the kindergartners day. They should be able to explore making their own music along with some help from my favorites Dr. Jean, Hap Palmer, or Jack Hartmann. I know music can work to teach a concept, kids tend to remember it. I have witnessed it first hand the lead Teacher I work with makes up a lot of the songs and chants and the kids make the connection.
    Above all you should witness a lot of smiles, giggles and love coming from the little ones because they are having so much fun learning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Education

I became an educator to make a positive impact on the community. I strongly believe positive change happens through education. I am passionate about early childhood education and believe the joy of learning begins at a young age. It is critical that we as educators instill a love for literacy during the students first school experience. I also have a passion for play based learning and believe our youngest students learn best through play and conversation with their peers.  Play infused with literacy learning sets students up for success and creates a joy for learning.

My favorite read aloud book